Where to Ambush Us


View The Trip in a larger map

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bobbleheads

Home sweet Delhi! We rode a 16 hour train back to Delhi from Varanasi all day yesterday. And coming back to Delhi almost feels like a homecoming. Touts... Con artists. No problem! At least they're our touts! We had a power outlet on the train, so spent most of the trip catching up on season 3 of The Wire on the netbook. Nothing like a little West Baltimore to remind us of home. We also managed to befriend our first Indian woman. Our cabin mates were a middle-aged brother and sister duo who didn't speak more than a few words of English but seemed to massively enjoy our game of charades. It was pretty fun to interact with Indians who weren't trying to sell us something. Incidentally this also turned out to be the best example yet of what I guess we'll call the Indian Bobblehead. We had met up with a few fellow travelers in Agra who told us to watch how Indians shake their heads side to side in a wobbly motion rather than nodding "yes" and we definetly had our fair share from this pair. By the end of it, J.R. and I could barely stop ourselves from bursting out in hysterics whenever they agreed with one of our pantomimes. If the internet speeds would allow it, I'd try to get this on video. Of course they are probably at home now telling their families how hilarious this nodding American couple from the train looked. The woman offered us some of her home cooked meal which I enjoyed. I also took pleasure watching J.R. try to choke it down without puking while keeping a smile on his face.

Aside (J.R. here)... India has been good for my male ego. I'M HUGE!!! Honestly, I feel like a giant in this country. I can't wait for Thailand and China! For all you Napoleons, Asia is your spot. The benefit of all of this is that you don't feel very threatened anywhere. Even in uncomfortable situations, you're sort of sitting there thinking, "well I could probably take five of these guys..."

Aside (Jessica here)... India has been terrible for my female ego. I'm a walking target for contemptuous stares. I don't talk to Indians because it usually leads down the wrong path. People don't ask for my opinion because J.R. is the man and therefore the decision maker. I should have packed longer skirts. Women in India are behind the scenes so as an American (or Japanese...which is what they all think I am) woman it throws your sensibilities off.

OK, that's all for now. We're off to the Himalayas either tonight or tomorrow, so we'll check back in from there!

2 comments:

  1. J.R., I am so happy to hear that your previously faltering male ego is now getting a much needed injection of confidence. Poor, poor Jessica...

    You will need all the confidence you can muster, bub, now that I am in for fantasy football!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checking Chris, but you do know the difference between a home run and a touchdown right?

    Ended up we couldn't get our bus to the mountains yesterday, so we stuck around Delhi another day. I actually kind of dig crazy-ass Delhi. Our new game has been seeing who can come up with new ways to confuse the touts (scam artists). My personal favorite is that I now try to sell them stuff. That really seems to throw them off.

    Gotta say man, India is pretty sweet. We're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete